Friday, May 16, 2008

Mitsubishi/ Greddy Eclipse 2007 2.5 inch Exhuast is Received!


Here I recieved the half squished Greddy box. Take in mind that the OEM mufflers for eclipse GT and Evo 8 + is co designed by Greddy. This is the second slowest Fedex shipment I have ever had. It took 6 days to get it from Pheonix, Arizona to Chanttanooga, TN.
The muffler standing up is probably about 2-3 inches longer than my OEM Eagle Talon muffler. The tip make up for about an inch of that difference and that is adjustable. Greddy does not call it the "tip" though. They describe it as a " exhuast diffuser". Never the less the "diffuser" looks like it is in good condition and only has one small ding I have noticed. It will be tricky making this muffler mate up to the Talon. The muffler is offset backwords because of model year difference and the piping is 1/2 inch thicker. Thicker pipes are harder to bend without "pinching" them to a oval shape. I don't know anyone with a mandrel bender that I have friends at the shop within convenient distance so Maxi Muffler qouted $70 to run 2.5 inch from the Cat backover the suspension to the muffler. That inludes hanging the muffler too. :)

Wow Look at that size! 3 in outlet with a 2.5 in inlet on the muffler. I can almost stick my fist inside the " diffuser". The entire construction looks like stainless steel on the outside. The only rust on the unit is on the weld for the hanger and the 2.5 in inlet. The inlet appears to be made from Mild steel. Mild steel will have surface rust after it gets wet. The best thing to do is clean it off and powder coat it or paint it to protect the metal from rusting out. Some say " But what about the inside!?" The inside is protected by a thin layer of carbon from when the car accelerates with a slightly rish fuel mixture. This leaves a thin black powdery film that resists water penetration.


Now isn't that nice. Greddy sent a " hey I am a ricer" badge! Lucky me this Eagle Talon ESi is turbocharged and going to be slightly tuned. I just installed the new NGK plug wires and I will follow-up with new NGK iriduim plugs and a high performance coil pack. Just to answer everyones golden question....YES I am maintaining the use of a catalytic converter. Why? because you might get an extra 1 hp yet loose several foot pounds of torque and it is illegal!



No comments: