Monday, June 30, 2008

Quest to pass emissions for turbo DSM


Mt grandparents wanted to do something nice this past week. They heard that the car was not emissions tested yet and wanted to go do it while I was away at work. They took it to this place called Hydes Auto. Presumably they knew a guy who worked there. He just popped the hood took one look and said it will never pass emissions. My grandparents gave me back the news. Obviously this guy either does not know what he is talking about or it too lazy to explain he does not know how a turbo works. Anyhow I pulled the codes from the ECU and they read " o2 sensor bank one no activity and small evap leak". A small evap leak is a vacuum hose normally FYI. I had the alternator tested and there was the culprate for sub-standard spark. The Alternator should output 90 amps from this orginal DSM alternator. At maximum reved to 3000 RPM it only made 32.5. That is 1/3 what it should.
I pulled the 02 bosch sensor and it was pretty gunked up as you can see. It is only 6 months old but they are cheap and come with a 2 year exchange warranty, so the exchange is free. :) Later I will get a NGK.
After I changed the spark splugs and put in the new o2 the engine light went off dispite the small vacuum leak. Well I guess that guy just did not know anything about a DSM. I still need an alternator though but it now will pass emissions, thanks to no one else but me.. Thanks for reading.

No comments: